Wednesday, November 12, 2008

So You Think You Can Sing!

For years I thought that I could sing so/so. When I met my husband Brett, he and his entire family can sing very well. They sing for church events, for musicals, and for family get togethers. When Brett was no longer trying to impress me he got serious and told me I was off tune all the time. I came to realize that what I was hearing - I thought sounded good because I don't have an ear that can tell if things are in tune or out. That is not a good quality to have if you are going to be apart of a musical family.

Things are so bad, that for entertainment, my friends and family ask me to sing solos, so that they can all laugh at me. They say it is funny because I try so hard. You may say "how sad", but I really don't mind because I can not tell if I am out of tune or in tune! Plus, I love to make people laugh.

The point of this is that I have always thought I can sing and in reality I can not! So where is that going to leave our children? Will they be able to sing or not?

My daughter Aunika has discovered that she can sing, by allowing her to continue her voice for a while - including one or two words her or there!

Keep in mind she is 21 months old (not quite 2 yet). This weekend we went to the Great grandparents and at church Aunika would try to sing along with the songs. Of course there are only a few words that do come out, so everyone can definitely her singing. The part that makes this funny is when there was special music (one person singing a solo) she thinks that she can still sing. So during the special music she was trying to sing along with the soloist. It was a bit embarrassing for us, because she is loud and you don't want to take the attention away from the song that is being sung. How do you tell a 2 year old when they can and cannot sing when they don't understand? You got me!

My brother-in-law Kelan tells me that Aunika has my singing voice! Right now I don't know, but I pray that she will be able to develop an ear that can tune her voice. Because, when you have her walking around the house for hours pretending to sing songs at the top of her voice, your head begins to ache! Besides the fact that it is pain to the ears, it is so cute, to hear her try to sing songs.

1 comment:

Nick Schmidt said...

Great posts the last couple of days Shannon! Love to hear the stories of Aunika.

About Me

Married to Brett Moser the love of my Life, we now have three wonderful girls. Aunika and Alayna; whom keep us very busy.

Our Girls

Our Girls